view all news
Important MIPS Dates & Upcoming Deadlines
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) sent out the following communication to remind physicians and practices about important dates related to the MIPS program.
Be sure to update your calendars with these key dates and activities:
- MIPS eligibility for the 2023 performance year will be updated based on the June 30 Alternative Payment Model (APM) snapshot.
- Note: Qualifying APM Participant (QP) determinations and MIPS APM participation information will be available on the QPP Participation Status Tool.
October 2, 2023
- 2024 virtual group election period opens, allowing solo practitioners and groups interested in participating in MIPS through this option an opportunity to submit, revise, or retract an election for the 2023 performance period.
October 3, 2023
- Last day to begin data collection for a continuous 90-day performance period for the improvement activities and Promoting Interoperability performance categories in the 2023 performance period. If you haven’t started your performance period for these categories, you must do so by no later than October 3.
- Note: Most, but not all, improvement activities have a continuous 90-day performance period, but several improvement activities require completion of modules where there’s a year-long or alternate performance period. The performance period is 90 days unless otherwise stated in the activity description.
October 9, 2023
- Final day to request a MIPS targeted review (PDF, 1.4MB) for your 2022 performance year feedback, including your MIPS final score and payment adjustment factor(s). Only submit a targeted review request if you believe there’s an error in your MIPS performance feedback.
- Note: CMS will only consider targeted review requests submitted by 8 p.m. ET.
November 30, 2023
- Last day to register to report a MIPS Value Pathway (MVP) for the 2023 performance year. Learn more about MVP registration.
- MIPS eligibility for the 2023 performance year will be finalized after the release of the August 31 APM snapshot data.
- QP determinations and MIPS APM participation information will be available on the QPP Participation Status Tool.
- Initial eligibility to participate in MIPS for the 2024 performance year will be released on the QPP Participation Status Tool.
December 31, 2023
- Last day of the 2023 performance year, after which clinicians will no longer be able to collect data for the year.
- 2024 performance year virtual group election period closes at 11:59 p.m. ET, after which prospective applicants will no longer be able to submit, revise, or retract their elections.
January 2, 2024
- QPP Exception Application window closes at 8 p.m. ET for MIPS eligible clinicians reporting traditional MIPS, an MVP, or the APM Performance Pathway (APP) who want to submit a MIPS Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances Exception Application or MIPS Promoting Interoperability Performance Category Hardship Exception Application for the 2023 performance year.
- Data submission period opens for the 2023 performance year.